This page includes the books and resources for Our History Revealed Volume 2, Part 1: Africans in Modern America Grades 9-12!
Required History Texts
If you desire to earn 1 credit in American History, the following texts are required for PART 1. To earn 1 credit, completion of PART 2 is necessary.
- Life Upon These Shores: Looking at African American History by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. (Week 1)
- Great African-American Speeches edited by James Daley (Week 1)
- African-American Firsts by Joan Potter
- The African-American Atlas by Asante and Mattson (Week 2)
- A History of US: War, Peace, & All That Jazz (Book 9) by Joy Hakim (Week 7)
- The Harlem Renaissance: A Hub of African-American Culture by Steven Watson (Week 9)
- 100 Best African-American Poems by Nikki Giovanni
If you desire to earn .5 credit in American Literature included with Living Literature, the following novel guides are required for PART 1. To earn .5 credit, completion of PART 2 Living Literature is necessary.
- Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neal Hurston
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
If you desire to earn the .5 credit in American Literature included with Living Literature, the following novel guides are required.
- Up from Slavery Novel Guide by Morah Sheli Village (Coming Soon!)
- Their Eyes Were Watching God Novel Guide by Morah Sheli Village (Coming Soon!)
- To Kill a Mockingbird Student Literature Workbook by Stacey Lloyd
HISTORY FILMS & DOCUMENTARIES
The asterisk (*) indicates films that are optional. In Week 16, students choose any film they’d like to view set in the appropriate historical era. If the film is not optional, the week the student is assigned to watch it is beside the film title.
- Many Rivers to Cross: Episode 3 & Episode 4 ~ Week 4 and Week 18 (available for Prime Members)
- Rosewood (1997)*
- The Great Gatsby (2013)*
- Miss Evers’ Boys (1997) ~ Week 11
- Their Eyes Were Watching God (2005)*
- Race (2016)*
- Pearl Harbor (2001)*
- The Tuskegee Airmen (1995) or Red Tails (2012)*
- The Jackie Robinson Story (1950)*
- 42 (2013)*
Course Hours Tracker (links to the private page for students who have purchased Part 1.)
Thank you for considering Our History Revealed!