Bio-Agricultural Science ~ Grade 4 & 7
Hey, Guys! For science, this year both my sons and I wanted to biological/agricultural-type science that taught the following:
- how to plant and grow food and medicinal herbs
- gives exposure into raising poultry
- review our major body systems to understand what we should eat, how, and when
- review our major body systems to understand how to heal our bodies with medicinal herbs
- differences between the Near Ancient East diet (esp the Levant region), the African diet (esp the Sub-Saharan region), and the American diet
- prepare nutritious meals with veggies and herbs
- understand the role of a “village doctor”
- how to identify and treat common illnesses / discomforts
- know basic elements of first aid (an herbal kit and a modern medicine kit)
- parts of the male and female reproductive systems, sex education, and human development
So, I designed a course that goes a little something like this… Bio-Agricultural & Herbal Science with Health, Medicine, & Nutrition and Human Anatomy/Sex Ed. But since that is a mouthful, we’re going with AgriScience. Once I decided on the topics I wanted to cover, I was off to locate student-friendly books for students 10-14. Since my youngest son is nine, I made some slight adjustments for him; but for the most part he can hang with us. 🙂
After I chose our books, I began to write the course and find learning resources (slideshows, activity sheets, diagrams, charts, puzzles, printables, and more) that would complement my plan. Then, I synthesized and sequenced it all together until every desirable topic, book, and learning was accounted for in a logical flow.
Let’s get to it! Below are the main texts and books I decided on for the 2018-2019 school year.
Main Science Texts
- Agricultural Science Book 1 by Hodder Education – Grade 4 & Grade 7
- A Kid’s Herb Book by Lesley Tierra – Grade 4 & Grade 7
- Complete Book of the Human Body by Usborne Books – Grade 7
- The Magic School Bus: Inside the Human Body – Grade 4
- An Illustrated Adventure in Human Anatomy by Kate Sweeney – Grade 4
- Wall Charts of Human Anatomy by Thomas McCracken – Grade 7
- It’s So Amazing by Robie H. Harris – Grade 4
- It’s Perfectly Normal by Robie H. Harris – Grade 7
- The Boy’s Body Book by Dunham/Bjorkman – Grade 4 & Grade 7
- Where There Is No Doctor by David Werner- Grade 4 & Grade 7
- Malia’s Magnificnet Moontime by Angela Shabazz – Grade 4 & Grade 7 (selected pieces)
Supplemental Science Resources
- Book of Growing Food by Usborne Books
- Cooking with Herb by Jules Bass
- Nature Journal by Hatching Curiosity – We love our journals!
- WildCraft! by Learning Herbs – This is such a great game!
I ended up compiling a few AgriScience notebook for some homeschoolers and I have received great feedback. We have not even started yet and I am more than thrilled to begin, watching others use my lesson plans. Whoop! 🙂